Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Delhi Daredevils bowlers pulled it back: Gambhir


DURBAN: Having registered a comprehensive nine-wicket win over Kolkata Knight Riders, Delhi Daredevils stand-in skipper Gautam Gambhir said he wanted to bat through the innings and make sure that his team registered a win against the Brendon McCullum-led side.On his batting form: I think it was important for us to win this game. To be honest I was not hitting the ball well. So it was important for me to grind my way through. I have not many runs under my belt so it was important for me to hang in there and finish it off. We were not chasing a big total and the target was 150 odd runs so we decided that one person has to bat till the end. We thought if one of us could bat till the end then we would end up winning the game.On the pitch at Durban: If you go through the history of Durban then you would find that the ball swings a bit under light. So I think that 150-160 was a good total. I think our bowlers bowled well to restrict them to such a score. At one time they were looking set for 180 but I think our bowlers pulled it back.On his role as a senior batsman: I think being a senior batsman there is a sense of responsibility. Viru's (Virender Sehwag) absence is a challenge for us. It was important for me to hang in there and finish the game. So, I think it is a blessing in disguise as well. If he were there I would go overboard and go after the bowling because he is the senior partner. I wanted to take the responsibility today and finish the game.On Glenn McGrath: He is match-fit but our combination does not permit us to field him in the playing XI. As we know Dirk Nannes has been bowling very well throughout the tournament. We needed pace and he is someone who is quick. But McGrath is fully match-fit.On his batting form: I always knew that there are 14 matches for a team. Specially coming from New Zealand where we played a lot of Test cricket. So, coming directly from different conditions it is always difficult to adapt to the local conditions. But I would like to continue in the same way I played today in the rest of the tournament. On complacency: We are at the top of the table and we can't be complacent. Our focus is to qualify for the semifinals.On strategy against KKR: They had nothing to lose and we had everything to lose. They have got some good players in the side and we had to play them well. We will be playing against them twice and it is important for us to win both matches. On Proteas performing well in IPL: You must remember that last year when IPL was in India a lot of Indians players had performed well. The Indian cricketers were used to the conditions and pace. If you see the entire tournament the South African are playing really well. AB de Villiers is doing well for us. And he and Dilshan are key players for us to reach the semi-finals.On keeping an eye on points chart: Yes, we are keeping a tap at the points table. With the standings changing every day we have to keep an eye on the points.On missing Sehwag: I have always felt comfortable batting with Viru. He is the most dangerous batsman. If he comes back into the side then we would be a very strong batting side.

No comments:

Post a Comment